We spent the summer and fall not working on the house. Time to pick it up where we left off 6 months ago: Demoing, cleaning and filling dumpsters.
A big grey tom cat was ‘squatting’ in the house and messed up the living room subfloor. The floor had to go.
Nibbling away at it with pry bars was a palm bruising experience.
D’s family came out and helped pull nails and fill up another dumpster. D’s dad fixed the toilet (D claims it to be a life changer).
Electric work continues:
We’ve been living in fear of the electric service in the garage. After getting shocked and burning up a couple extension cords trying to power the RV we decided to do some electrical upgrades in the garage next.
Goodby fuse box- You won’t leave me in the dark again.
Goodbye overhead wire.
Goodbye garage phone.
Hello new 100 amp breaker box.
Two steps forward one step back: I killed the garage overhead lines not realizing I needed 220V to run the well pump. ...so had to repurpose the water heater circuit in the main house to run a 220v outside to the well.
Settling in for the long haul. Installled a 150 gallon propane tank to fuel the RV
We’re burning gas and finally keeping the place hot this weekend.
We now have a 220v wire, a propane line, three water hoses, three extension cords with all kinds of splitters, an ethernet cable, and a sewage hose draped across our back yard between the house, garage and RV.
Running total for renovation: $46,150
New Expenses: 150 gal Propane tank-$250. Breaker box- $100. Conduit- $200(this shit adds up!). 250 ft 10/2 wire- $180. 3x more asbestos samples-$100. 3yrd bagster -$170. Dumpster (10yrd)-$250 ($150 overweight charges). New Shopvac- $200. Odds n ends (shop vac bags, tyvec suits, toilet parts, pex fittings): $200