Tuesday, February 20, 2018

February (weeks 21, 22, 23)

We are focusing most of our attention on packing and moving out of our old house and into the trailer.  Some work at the house continues:

Week 21:

We buried the last of the exposed copper water line before some snow and very cold weather arrived.


And ran another water line (this time using pex) from the well, through the cement floor, and towards the back of the property to supply the trailer.

Week 22:
We discovered water damage in the trailer.  Wall needs to be repaired. 

Maybe we’ve learned our lesson about buying cheap (houses, trailers, contractors...)

Week 23:  

Hired Ted, my cousin-in law, and his buddy to help with the dirty work of removing sheet rock from the ceiling ($350 for their labor and $300 for the dumpster).  They removed one crumby surface to just find another

Acoustic tiles under the sheet rock:


Fortunately the acoustic tiles tested negative for asbosetos ($150 testing fee) and should be easy to remove next week.

Not done, but things are definitely looking better with the old living room ceilings (and the loft railing) gone:

Before:


After:


Running total for renovation: $43,400


Monday, February 5, 2018

Week 20: 5th wheel delivered

We picked up a 5th wheel from a used RV lot and had it delivered to the property.  It’s a big one - which is good cause we’ll be living in it with our two kids and two dogs for awhile.  An extended camping trip in our back yard.  Should be great. 


Dumpsters #4 & #5 are gone (additional $800 In overweight charges).  I spent a full day sweeping and powerwashig what was a very dirty driveway:


We also worked on raking smooth the soil in preparation for reseeding the lawn.  In doing so, we have found a few obsidian chips, one of which I’m certain is a piece of arrowhead.  


I’m now on the look out for more arrowheads (the excavator said it’s common to find them in our area). Looking takes time though. The dirt is littered with black objects - lots of charcoal as well as some bits of plastic and roof tiles.  From my vantage point, five feet or so above the ground, all these charcoal bits (which I like to think are the remanants of thousands of years of Indian campfires) appear the same as obsidian.  When the weather turns nice again I’m going to take a day and search the soil in earnest while it is still exposed.  Maybe this will turn into a blog about Indian artifacts.  

————-

The roof conflict was peacefully resolved.  The roofer accepted, albeit reluctantly, that the roof was critically flawed and would need to be redone (and not by his company).  We agreed that nothing would be owed for the roof and that I would pay for the carpentry work and the material cost of the skylights $2350. 

Running total for renovation: $42,600