Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Week 19: Excavating

We hired an excavator ($600) for the patio subgrade. He removed 10 yards of soil and added back 8 yards of gravel ($300).  

Unfortunately he didn’t grade a large enough area for the patio, so I hired a worker ($100) to finish by hand.  

Here he is taking a smoke break next to the gas can:

The excavator also worked on taking down the burn pile, but we got our wires crossed and he put the clean dirt from patio dig in the dumpster ($250) and buried the dirty burn debris which was to go in the dumpster.  

Another lesson learned, it’s good to be onsight during excavation work because a lot of wrong work can be done fast with such a machine.

With the burn pile still on our property, we hired a second excavator to remove the the worst parts of the burn debris as well as some other dirt and rubble ($600). Finally most of that nasty pile is gone.

And the running total sprints past the $40k mark.

Running total for renovation: $40,950


Roof update: I’ve been communicating with the owner of the roofing company and our talks are civil.  He admits problems with the roof, but does not agree with the inspectors assessment that it needs to be redone entirely.  We are not close to reaching an agreement on how to remedy this problem. 

Friday, January 26, 2018

Week 18:  Patio prep

The excavation and patio framing starts next week, so I had to cramb a lot of needed prep work into one day this week. 

Happy to have Randy and my dad’s help with taking down the patio cover. The metal roof was screwed on and came off without any surprises. 

We started taking the wood structure apart by hand, but the partially supported beams were swinging and dropping unpredictably.

To be safe(r) we pulled the structure down with a tow strap and truck and broke it apart once on the ground



(Tree, cover, deck, and grass- all now gone)

Also, I dug a couple more trenches and Installed rainwater drainpipes to run under the patio ($100). 


Roof update: A roofer from another company and a roof inspectior ($200) separately looked at our new roof. They both concluded that the roof needs to be removed and redone....

Running total for renovation: $39,100

Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 17:  Diggin

Spent most the weekend just digging dirt in preparation for a patio pour.

The subterranean electrical work passed inspection ($200 permit fee), so we can finally bury the trench.

Before we did, I ran a pex line and more electrical conduit ($50) out into the yard - provisions for a future outdoor kitchen.

Running total for renovation: $38,800

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Week 16: Underground wiring and more plumbing 

Only worked one day this week, but it was a good one.  

Layed conduit ( $150) in the trench between the house and the garage and pulled through a 4 cord cluster of 2 gauge wire ($850) to power a 100amp sub panel (which powers the well pump, septic pump, and garage).  Randy was in charge of lubing the wires.

Finished soldering the copper plumbing inside the house and turned back on the water.  The immediate benefit is that the toilet plumbing works again.  No more hauling jugs of water from the neighbors well to fill up our toilet. There is one dripping joint in the pump room that will need to be fixed.  

Running total for renovation: $38,550

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Week 15: Replacing the water main

The trench is dug.  85ft from outside of the house to outside of the garage. 

About 50 feet was done with an excavator, the rest was done by hand.  

The water main exits from below the garage, so we had to do some tunneling:

We ran 100 feet of 1”copper pipe for the new water main ($600 for a roll of k-soft).

On Sunday I removed some of the old steel pipe and redid the connection between the well and the main in cooper ($100 in fittings and hard copper pipe).  I did a poor solderjob on a couple joints. Hopefully it holds. We won’t  know until the plumbing is finished and the water is turned back on. 

And the running total keeps going up. 

Running total for renovation: $37,550