Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Week 11: Septic install

It’s a big work week at the house!

Finally we got the dry weather we needed to install the septic system.  It's huge.  Way bigger than expected.

Unfortunately they had to tear up our yard to install the tank and the 300ft of drain field.  Looks like we will be living with lots of mud until the grass grows back in the spring.

Drain field looking forward:

Drain field looking back:

New plumbing and electric lines

Filling the tank up with 1,700 gallons from the garden hose for the test:

The install has gone pretty smoothly, but they did mangle our water main with the excavator, so we will be without water (and toilet) through the weekend.

Before they covered up the ditch, we dropped in a pex line that ran out to the end of the drain field ($150).  Adding a hydrant and tieing in with a water line will be a project for another day.


The roofers are still at it.  1.5 weeks into the job and only a quarter of the new roof has been installed.

The difference between a well run and poorly run operation is especially apparent with the roofers and septic installers working at side by side.

The roofers leave early and don’t work much when they are there, they make messes they don’t clean up, they stomp on and dent the metal roof of my patio cover, they borrow my tools and leave them on the roof, they go to the bathroom in toilets that no longer flush...

They did get around to replacing some of the rotted rafter tails and facia boards. 

Marking a measurement:

...and the result:


We picked a bad company, but we're locked in now.  I'm ready to be done with these guys.


Also this week:

I took a couple days off of work to continue the window installation.  I framed in 5 windows and installed three.

Trimming the aluminum siding for the new window openings is a difficult and unpleasant job.  Below the aluminum siding is an asphalt shingle siding that also has to be removed.  

The extra studs I added to support the headers means the lap siding and tar paper don't extend to the edges of the new window opening. The new openings have to be patched with scrap wood and then the exposed wood is covered with flashing tape.  The window is then caulked, screwed in and more flashing on top to cover the nailing fins.    (The cost of supplies (flashing, caulking, fasteners, tyvek... ) needed for the window installation was ~$650. )

Lots of work, but the results are worth it.

Bedrooms windows before:

Bedroom windows after:

A few pics from outside:

Framed in and ready for a window:

Fastening the window:

One side done:


Derra came out for a couple days and continued removing the attic insulation. It had been infested with critters and needs to go.

Feathers and nuts in the attic:

Randy broke up and removed the front porch landing.  He is preparing the area to pour a new concrete slab:

The running total took a big jump this week with the septic install ($20,050). 

Running total for renovation: $34,100


  1. Nice reading, I love your content. This is really a fantastic and informative post. Keep it up and if you are looking for Window Installation Service then visit Vixco Glass Depot

  2. I have perused your article. It is extremely useful data shared by you. I am waiting for your next article. On the off chance that you need to get more data about Davie Attic Insulation, at that point americaninsulationco.com is a decent alternative.