Monday, May 20, 2019

Wood stove install

Installing the stove in its new location (moved from the dinning room to the living room):

Original location:

Running total:  $49,650

New costs:
14' of pipe: $1300
Permit: $100
Labor: $600

Monday, January 28, 2019

Feb / March 2019 - Framing the loft & roof

Cold February days are here. 

Proof: Stalagmites in the bathroom sink:


Framing improvements:

Stringer upsizing:  (For the attic stringers to carry the weight of a loft, they need to be upsized from discontinuous 2x4s to 2x8's.):


After (w/ sistered 2x8s):

D adding new supports to transfer the roof load to the new stringers:

Man yoga:

Using clamps to take the bow out of the old stringers:

Adding 2x2s to even up the width on top:

1x8 sheathing :


Very stout final product.  Ready to be patched and painted.

In the vaulted parts of the old house, where head space was not a consideration, we upsized the rafters by sistering 2x6s with the existing 2x4s:

Surprisingly, there was very little  roof sag and the 2x6s sistered up easily

Framing in the loft:


Running total:  $47,600

New Costs:
50 2x4s:  $150
25 2x8s:  $350
10 2x6s: $100
20 1x8s: $300
Nails and screws:  $150

Monday, January 14, 2019

Jan 2019

Goodbye 2018.
2019 will be our year.

Took down the loft (which eliminated a support post in the living room), removed the kitchen island and some of the raised floor framing.


Cutting down the loft.  Easy victory.

I panicked when the falling loft banged into our main (and only) support post:

We’re good.  Bust it up and pack it away:
Continued with the electrical work, which was (of course) more difficult than expected.  D and I worked into the night (which starts at 4:30pm this time of year) to run wire through conduit into garage. Our new shiny pole looks pretty good against the current back drop.
Snaking conduit to the garage box: 

New 50amp RV hookup:

Cutting wood, burning scraps, drinking whisky and building a wood rack in the barn.

There’s tons of work ahead, but don’t feel too bad for us.
Running total for renovation: $46,550
New Expenses: $400
Expense detail: 50amp receptacle: $30, 50amp GFCI breaker: $100, 50ft of 6/3 romex: $150, Ground rods + wire: $50, breakers & electrical odds n' ends: $70

Dec 2018 - Back to work

We spent the summer and fall not working on the house.  Time to pick it up where we left off 6 months ago:  Demoing, cleaning and filling dumpsters.

A big grey tom cat was ‘squatting’ in the house and messed up the living room subfloor. The floor had to go. 
Nibbling away at it with pry bars was a palm bruising experience.  
D’s family came out and helped pull nails and fill up another dumpster.  D’s dad fixed the toilet (D claims it to be a life changer). 
Electric work continues:
We’ve been living in fear of the electric service in the garage.  After getting shocked and burning up a couple extension cords trying to power the RV we decided to do some electrical upgrades in the garage next.  

Goodby fuse box- You won’t leave me in the dark again. 
Goodby switch. 
Goodbye overhead wire.
 Goodbye garage phone. 
Hello new 100 amp breaker box. 
Two steps forward one step back: I killed the garage overhead lines not realizing I needed 220V to run the well pump. had to repurpose the water heater circuit in the main house to run a 220v outside to the well.  
Settling in for the long haul.  Installled a 150 gallon propane tank to fuel the RV
We’re burning gas and finally keeping the place hot this weekend.  

We now have a 220v wire, a propane line, three water hoses, three extension cords with all kinds of splitters, an ethernet cable, and a sewage hose draped across our back yard between the house, garage and RV. 
Running total for renovation: $46,150
New Expenses:  150 gal Propane tank-$250.  Breaker box- $100. Conduit- $200(this shit adds up!). 250 ft 10/2 wire- $180. 3x more asbestos samples-$100. 3yrd bagster -$170. Dumpster (10yrd)-$250 ($150 overweight charges). New Shopvac- $200. Odds n ends (shop vac bags, tyvec suits, toilet parts, pex fittings): $200

Sunday, December 30, 2018

April 2018

Finished excavating the burn pile /dump.  Brought in 22 yards of clean soil to bring it back up to level.

We built a fire ring, and replanted the new earth with grass seed and a few pumpkin starts.

Found another arrowhead chip:

One year later:

Expenses: Another excavator ($300) and dirt dumpster ($300).  16 yards soil ($550). Then 6 more yards of soil ($200). Grass seed, landscape rake and seed spreader ($150).
Running total for renovation: $44,350

Sunday, March 4, 2018

March (week 24)

Week 24:

Ted and friend came back out to finish the demo they started last week ($280 for their labor). They removed the acoustic ceiling + wood slats and 70 years of bird habitat that was sandwiched between the ceiling and the second story subfloor.  

The upper kitchen cupboards and the bulk heads above them were removed:

Temporary supports for the loft were erected and the structural post that sat on the island counter was removed.



Removing the ceiling revealed some questionable structure.  Unsupported joist and a badly notched beam:

Also removed the 70s era turned columns and the loft ladder. 

Also removed the shingles from what once was the garage roof. ($120 for asbestos sampling).

Maxed out the 10 yard dumpster.  We have now had and filled 100 yards worth of dumpsters.  


It was a beautiful weekend.  Randy came out and painted the front porch ($50 for paint). 



Running total for renovation: $43,850